[GLLUG] Initrd issue

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Mon Mar 12 19:20:38 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I know this is a long shot but I'm helping a colleague virtualise
(Hyper-V) a RedHat 8 system. Yes I know - ssh, tls, and on an on are
full of holes. But they have an application on the machine and well
anyway......something about the 2.4 kernel and the version of gcc....
Its burried inside a lan and has no internet exposure. Anyway here's the
issue....

I've done a test plain RH8 installation on Hyper-V and it runs fine,
much to my surprise. So even if its not supported it seems to work,
network and all.

Meanwhile on the P to V migrated system I've fixed up grub, grub.conf
and fstab and rebuilt the initrd. I think its running the nash scripts
in the initrd and I get the error:

Warning: Unable to open the initial console.

Earlier I was having a problem when running the RH8 rescue system. I
found that the /dev/ filesystem needed manually mounted in
/mnt/sysimage/dev before I did "chroot /mnt/sysimage". grub-install
wouldn't work without the manual mount of /dev. I wonder if this is
related. /dev/console is there when I run mkinitrd with /dev mounted
manually. But there is probably something else in there I've missed. I
removed the original cciss statement from modules.conf to stop it
looking for the raid controller on the original host. I would have
thought the a basic vga console module would be in there anyway but
perhaps not...

Any clues???

Thanks

Ken