[GLLUG] Charity WiFi, a bit off topic

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Mar 26 16:57:08 UTC 2018

On 25/03/18 11:12, Christopher Hunter via GLLUG wrote:
[snip]
> If you can run some Cat 5 or Cat 6 cables, the best option of all is to
> run /cabled/ wi-fi access points from a central router.

Strongly support this suggestion.

I've tried various brands of ethernet-over-mains devices and none of
them was reliable.  They all seem to need to sit down for a rest every
hour or so, resulting in a couple of minutes of no connectivity before
they start working again.  Really annoying if you're in the middle of
watching a film or something.

I ran exterior grade CAT6 round the outside of my house, bringing it in
at a couple of crucial points and installing access points getting their
power from Power Over Ethernet.  Yes, it's a spot more work but it's now
rock solid.  As someone else said, a bit more work now will save you
endless hassle in the future.

John