[GLLUG] OT: secure router for home network

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu May 24 11:21:43 UTC 2018

On 24/05/18 11:53, James Roberts via GLLUG wrote:
[snip]
> - I have tried to use Mikrotik as have many others I know but I am now
> bald and no longer enjoy banging my head against a wall. You may like them.

I should perhaps have mentioned that, from the point of view of the
casual user, the MikroTik documentation is phenomenally dreadful.
There's lots of it, but it tends to be recipes saying:

* Do this
* Then this
* Then this
* Then this
* Then this
   (adjust these commands to your requirements)

without the slightest explanation of concepts or what any of the
commands does.  How you're meant to adjust them to your needs without
knowing what they do is a mystery.

Lots of the explanations are clearly of the, "This is what I did"
nature, with no attempt made to add any background information or
anything like that.

I suspect that MikroTik look on it as more of a professional product,
targeting the same kind of market as Cisco, and thus assume that your
first step will be to go on a week-long residential course.

The whole area could do with a good introductory guide, explaining
concepts and the the basic structure of the system.  It's so
configurable that you need to have some idea what's going on in order to
get started.  In case it's of any help, its firewall is much like the
standard firewall software in Linux.

Having said that, it does have both a web GUI, and a standalone Windows
application (which runs fine under WINE), by means of which the average
tech-savvy user can do most simple tasks.

John