[GLLUG] CUPS queues

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Tue Nov 20 14:03:42 UTC 2018

Hi,

Ever since a system crash over a year ago - I have not been able to get
CUPS setup correctly.

I think, bottom line, the problem is that both clients and CUPS tries to
setup a device/filter for the actual printer. It looks like CUPS expects
a PDF file, but the client has already been told what the printer is,
hence the file gets sent to CUPS in the printer's native language and
chokes.

I seem to remember in the old days you could setup raw or PDF printers
but it doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. Also, on Windows, they
apparently dropped raw to make everyone use XPS.

On top, on iPhones you can't really set a printer type - I think it just
sends PDF.

What's the correct thing to do? Do I maybe even need two separate
queues, a raw for PC/laptops and a PDF for phones?

I'm very confused...

Thanks