[GLLUG] CUPS queues

Tim Woodall t at woodall.me.uk
Wed Nov 21 18:34:01 UTC 2018

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018, Henrik Morsing via GLLUG wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ever since a system crash over a year ago - I have not been able to get CUPS
> setup correctly.
>
> I think, bottom line, the problem is that both clients and CUPS tries to
> setup a device/filter for the actual printer. It looks like CUPS expects a
> PDF file, but the client has already been told what the printer is, hence the
> file gets sent to CUPS in the printer's native language and chokes.
>
> I seem to remember in the old days you could setup raw or PDF printers but it
> doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. Also, on Windows, they apparently dropped
> raw to make everyone use XPS.
>
> On top, on iPhones you can't really set a printer type - I think it just
> sends PDF.
>
> What's the correct thing to do? Do I maybe even need two separate queues, a
> raw for PC/laptops and a PDF for phones?
>
> I'm very confused...
>
> Thanks

I'm pretty sure I have 'raw' printers setup - thats how you get a local
cups instance to talk to a remote one.

I'll see if I can work out what I did to get this working. My wife also
manages to print to my cups server from windows so it 'can be done' but
it's one of those things you do once and then don't touch so I don't
know how much help I can be...