[GLLUG] VPNs (nearly off topic)

Peter Grant grantpe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 16:45:14 UTC 2018

Hi all,
This is nearly off topic, but since the VPNs are between two PFSense
firewalls, I guess it might just squeeze in.

I have two PFSense firewalls, one in the UK and one in Thailand. I
have a need encrypted networking between them (to protect
communication between Windows boxes).

I've managed to get an IPSec tunnel established, but with major packet
loss over it (30% or so), which is obviously unworkable.

Any suggestions to either reduce the packet loss or a different VPN
technology that will cope better with the distance/latency involved?
Ideally something PFSense will support, we have several OpenVPN
tunnels and IPSec tunnels running already for other uses, so might
slightly prefer one of those.

I did disable the Dead peer detection system which improved the
performance, but it's still not good enough for use.

Thanks for reading and for any advice you might have,
Peter