[GLLUG] GRUB dual boot on removable drive

michael norman michaeltnorman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 12:48:13 UTC 2018

On 17/09/2018 13:36, Alistair Mann via GLLUG wrote:
> On 17/09/18 13:03, michael norman via GLLUG wrote:
>> I have one of these
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-SDRW-08D2S-U-LITE-External-Burner/dp/B00BGJ8GPU/ref=sr_1_10?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1537185019&sr=1-10&keywords=Asus+dvdrw
>

> Rather than tray loaders, may I recommend to the group clamshell
> loaders such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EFJ5DEE.
>
> Reasoning: too many custards use stickers to mark disks which tend to
> gum up tray loading mechanism, too few paperclips to force eject.
>
> Cheers

I won't argue with that in principle I wanted a clamshell one too, for
the reasons you state, I got one, can't remember which model but I sent
it back as too flimsy, maybe bad luck with that one.  But all these
optical devices are flimsy, for years I had an LG usb device in a big
case with a proper power supply but it died.  My efforts to find
something as well built as that came to naught so I settled for what was
available, as I said it doesn't get much use and if I treat it with care
it works, who knows for how long ?

Optical drives are a bit dead maybe.