[GLLUG] GRUB dual boot on removable drive

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Sep 18 14:16:58 UTC 2018

On 18/09/18 10:13, Henrik Morsing via GLLUG wrote:
[snip]

> Thanks, that's the kind of thing I was after, so can I just go in to
> Windows (sorry, Windows question!), and type fdisk /mbr to make it
> bootable directly and then reconfigure GRUB to only be on the second
> disk? That will then need to chain load the first disk for Windows.

That's the idea, yes.  I would do the re-installation of the MBR in
Windows with the Linux drive removed for safety, then put it back and
explicitly install GRUB on the Linux drive's MBR.

> And this is the first time in years I've had to use the DVD drive BTW,
> but I do find it scary when people say they've never used a CD or DVD...

I was driving a mini-bus for school girls before Christmas and they were
doing a spot of carol singing as we went along.  I pointed out that the
van had a CD drive and suggested they could bring a CD along to sing to.
  I might as well have suggested that they brought a gramophone and some
78s given the reaction I got.

John