[GLLUG] Network UPS Tools

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Jun 17 17:03:20 UTC 2019

On Monday, 17 June 2019 17:46:02 BST John Winters via GLLUG wrote:
> On 17/06/2019 17:31, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> >>
> >> What do you mean by "unable"?
> >>
> >> What command did you type?  What result did you get?  How did this
> >> differ from your expectations?
> >
> > I totally re-installed buster from scratch to guarantee that there was
> > nothing else affecting the problem, then
> >
> > In each case where it failed:
> > su and login with the root password, then
>
> To repeat Martin's question - what command *exactly* did you type to
> effect the su?  Did you type "su" or "su -"?
just "su"

> Having got a root prompt, what does the following command produce?
>
> echo $PATH
>From a ssh connection, su [return] then enter the root password
 echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

> Likewise, if you log in as root from the console, what does that command
> produce?
Identical to the above when I open a konsole and su [return] then enter the
root password
 echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

but when I use ctrl+alt+F1 and login as root the result is
/usr/local/sbin:usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin

so more sensible

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk