[GLLUG] Network UPS Tools

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Jun 17 16:46:08 UTC 2019

On 17/06/2019 17:31, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> On Monday, 17 June 2019 17:11:56 BST Martin A. Brooks via GLLUG wrote:
>> On 2019-06-17 17:04, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
>>> I am able to ssh in from another local box, su to root, but am then
>>> unable to
>>> use the standard "shutdown" command.
>>
>> What do you mean by "unable"?
>>
>> What command did you type?  What result did you get?  How did this
>> differ from your expectations?
>
> I totally re-installed buster from scratch to guarantee that there was nothing
> else affecting the problem, then
>
> In each case where it failed:
> su and login with the root password, then

To repeat Martin's question - what command *exactly* did you type to
effect the su?  Did you type "su" or "su -"?

Having got a root prompt, what does the following command produce?

echo $PATH

Likewise, if you log in as root from the console, what does that command
produce?

Cheers,
John

--
Xronos Scheduler - https://xronos.uk/
All your school's schedule information in one place.