[GLLUG] An old mars board

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed May 1 08:57:51 UTC 2019

On Wed, 1 May 2019 at 09:14, MJ via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> Dear IT professionals,
>
> I do not work in the first /second line support since 2009 and have lost
> most of command line skills if I had any before.
>
> Is there an avid brain among you who could force into nand of my old
> marsboard latest Debian build please?
> I had a go years ago, but gave up.
> I am hoping to use it as my business system, or use BananaPi with 7"
> monitor. Sort of DIY home brew laptop, purely
> for social networking.

Hi,

Which Mars board is it?
Their web site has Debian 7.7 for it.
That should be enough for social networking.

If you wished to use a more modern version, the difficult part will be
installing a more modern Linux kernel on it.
If you cannot get a more modern kernel running, I would not bother
upgrading the rest of the OS because it is unlikely to work.
The difficulty with getting a more modern Linux kernel on that, will be the
availability or not of a device-tree file for it.
I don't know the answer to that.

The manufacturer only seems to have Debian 7.7 available for it. Not a more
modern one.

Kind Regards

James