[GLLUG] JetDirect printer problem was GLLUG Digest, Vol 239, Issue 2

nickmount91 nickmount91 at protonmail.com
Sat May 4 17:30:20 UTC 2019

hi,

i am having trouble replying to an individual posting within the daily digest.
i have just changed my settings to not get the digest.

> Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 10:57:21 +0100
> From: John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
> To: gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [GLLUG] JetDirect/printer problem
>
> On 04/05/2019 10:19, nickmount91 via GLLUG wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> > I am new to this group and I have a printer problem. I am trying  to set
> > up a JetDirect box with my printer and cannot find a suitable online
> > document telling me how to do it using Linux .
>
> Can you give some more information about the exact model of printer
> which you have?

it is an HP Color LaserJet 2605dn

> I'm not familiar with these JetDirect boxes, but I would expect that
> they are simply giving your printer the network connection which it does
> not otherwise have. It would therefore make sense to configure CUPS to
> print to whatever kind of printer it is which you have.

Yes, the JetDirect provides a network connection. I borrowed a Win 10 laptop, which downloaded and installed the right driver and printed flawlessly.

> If your printer has a USB connection then you could temporarily connect
> it direct to your Linux box. This generally results in a totally
> automated installation of the right configuration, which could then be
> used as an example to configure the network version.

I used the USB connection and it installed a different driver.

Where will this configuration be stored?

> John

Nick