[GLLUG] JetDirect printer problem was GLLUG Digest, Vol 239, Issue 2

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat May 4 17:57:11 UTC 2019

On 04/05/2019 18:30, nickmount91 via GLLUG wrote:
[snip]
>> Can you give some more information about the exact model of printer
>> which you have?
>>

> it is an HP Color LaserJet 2605dn

Which immediately makes me think, "Why is he using a JetDirect?"  That
printer is already network-capable.

[snip]
>> If your printer has a USB connection then you could temporarily connect
>> it direct to your Linux box. This generally results in a totally
>> automated installation of the right configuration, which could then be
>> used as an example to configure the network version.
>>

> I used the USB connection and it installed a different driver.
>
> Where will this configuration be stored?

I wouldn't worry about where it's stored.  Simply use the management
interface (accessible via a web browser at http://localhost:631) and
change the connection settings for the newly set up printer instance.

HTH,
John