[GLLUG] Internet Utopias Survey

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri Nov 22 20:16:56 UTC 2019

On Friday, 22 November 2019 19:51:16 GMT John Winters via GLLUG wrote:

> That rings a few bells.  I've written some FOSS software for schools,
> but in my experience of dealing with school IT people their knowledge of
> IT is generally slight to non-existent.  To make matters worse, there
> are some big suppliers to schools who really prey on this deficiency.
> They very much rely on schools having no-one capable of calling out
> their bullshit.

A friend was asked to set up a server and some desktop computers in a local
junior school. The school had a contract with a major education "provider"
which required their IT system to be provided and maintained only by that
company, and the school was not allowed to access the system, so the new
computers were to be a totally separate independent system and hidden from
the contractor.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk