[GLLUG] Perl programming project

Marco van Beek mvanbeek at supporting-role.co.uk
Thu Feb 20 10:56:38 UTC 2020

Hi All,

Wondering if there is anyone on the list who fancies a little Perl
programming project?

The resulting code would be open source (and happy for the author to put
it up on SourceForge / etc) and it would appear to be a "much sort-for
but never found" bit of code if my web searches are anything to go by.

Long story short, we are trying to migrate from Samba3 with our own
somewhat hacked version of OpenLDAP to Samba4 that has it's own version
of LDAP that isn't really suitable for a couple of things we need to do
with it.

Basically we currently have an LDAP address book which is used by our
desktop phones and our scanner. We also have started to use CardDAV as
support is slowly extended into Thunderbird and Outlook (via a plug-in)
but the VOIP phones and MFD do not understand CardDAV, so we need
something to allow CardDAV to answer LDAP queries. After much
unsuccessful searching (found one bit of bespoke code but the author
never got back to me) I have figured out that OpenLDAP can use a Perl
backend, and there is a Perl module that does CardDAV. We do not need a
full two way conversation between the two, but as a project this does
have the potential for a much bigger scope.

Anyway, my Perl programming days are a while ago and right now whilst
not exactly cash rich, I am time poor, so happy to throw some money in
someone's direction if they think they can pull it off. I don't think it
is more than a couple of days worth of work, but setting up a CardDAV
system and an OpenLDAP system would be time consuming so we could fire
up a VM with these already set up for someone to play with if that was
needed.

If anybody out there is interested let me know.

Cheers,

Marco

--
Marco van Beek