[GLLUG] Plusnet and BT

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue May 12 09:26:18 UTC 2020

Hello,
I have been with Plusnet long enough to know that emails could be downloaded
using pop3 from pop3.plus.net, but that failed recently. Their website now
says that mail.plus.net should be used, but they had not provided the DNS for
that name.
They have now provided the same set of eight IPv4 addresses for both
pop3.plus.net and mail.plus.net so both are working.
I am still waiting for IPv6 to appear, promised "soon" for several years.

The recommendation to ISP's from RIPE is that every human on earth could be
allocated an IPv6 /48 without problems for about 480 years and without needing
to reclaim and re-assign any, although ISP's may wish to restrict some non-
commercial users to only a /64 from each allocated /48.

I have looked at a new standard BT FTTC connection supplied with a new BT
Hub6. It has both a dynamic IPv4 and an IPv6 address, and is issuing standard
IPv4 192.168.x.x/24 addresses, plus IPv6 /64 addresses with a TTL of 10 years,
although it says that IPv6 DNS is not available. Is this the best that they
can manage after so many promises?
--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk