[GLLUG] Internet Data Rate

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed May 13 11:29:32 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 13 May 2020 11:45:39 BST Henrik Morsing via GLLUG wrote:
> On 13-May-20 11:01 AM, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> > Hello Frank,
> > You could find that you get an improvement by using a replacement lower
> > front panel VDSL filter for the incoming BT NTE5 termination box which
> > will block the data from entering your internal telephone wiring. It will
> > bypass the line filter in the standard box, which destroys the balance
> > between the wires, and replace it with another after the data has been
> > isolated, preventing your telephone wiring from acting as tuned aerial
> > stubs.
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Any chance of a pretty ASCII diagram of that? I'm sure I follow your
> replacement route and wiring.

Undo the two screws holding the lower panel and remove it. You may need to
transfer any telephone wiring originally connected direct to the back to the
replacement panel, there should be similar IDC connection points on the new
one, then fix the new panel in its place. There will be one socket for the
modem plus one standard BT telephone socket on the new one to replace the
original single telephone outlet.
If there was any very old telephone wiring to the rear of the original lower
panel it may have the old wiring colours, so make a note of the original
connections before they are disconnected.
The replacement VDSL filter panel should cost around £15 to £20, usually
available from CPC.Farnell.com

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk