[GLLUG] Systemd on Debian

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Fri May 22 18:56:37 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 04:57:15PM +0100, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> Systemd attempts to rule the world of Debian Buster.

The usual way to define your network in Debian is still ifupdown as
configured by /etc/network/interfaces so it seems to me that you are
the one choosing to use systemd-networkd for ruling your world.

> man systemd.network says

[…]

> [ADDRESS] SECTION OPTIONS
>
>        Label=
>            An address label.
>
> but there is no indication whether that should be a numerical reference or a
> text string label such as DMZ.

It can (and for compat should) be a text string; it is the direct
equivalent of "ip address … label …". If you look in man ip-address:

    label NAME
        Each address may be tagged with a label string.  In order to
        preserve compatibility with Linux-2.0 net aliases, this
        string must coincide with the name of the device or must be
        prefixed with the device name followed by colon.

An IPv6label on the other hand is a completely different thing. It
is a source address selection mechanism, like /etc/gai.conf but in
the kernel. It's an interface to ip addrlabel which as you'll note
is at a sompletely different command level to "ip address …". So the
man page for that in iputils terms is man ip-addrlabel.

Cheers,
Andy