[GLLUG] Systemd on Debian

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sat May 23 08:07:17 UTC 2020

On Friday, 22 May 2020 19:56:33 BST Andy Smith via GLLUG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 04:57:15PM +0100, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> > Systemd attempts to rule the world of Debian Buster.
>
> The usual way to define your network in Debian is still ifupdown as
> configured by /etc/network/interfaces so it seems to me that you are
> the one choosing to use systemd-networkd for ruling your world.
>
> > man systemd.network says
>
> […]
>
> > [ADDRESS] SECTION OPTIONS
> >
> >        Label=
> >
> >            An address label.

> > but there is no indication whether that should be a numerical reference or
> > a text string label such as DMZ.
>
> It can (and for compat should) be a text string; it is the direct
> equivalent of "ip address … label …". If you look in man ip-address:
>
>     label NAME
>         Each address may be tagged with a label string.  In order to
>         preserve compatibility with Linux-2.0 net aliases, this
>         string must coincide with the name of the device or must be
>         prefixed with the device name followed by colon.
>
> An IPv6label on the other hand is a completely different thing. It
> is a source address selection mechanism, like /etc/gai.conf but in
> the kernel. It's an interface to ip addrlabel which as you'll note
> is at a sompletely different command level to "ip address …". So the
> man page for that in iputils terms is man ip-addrlabel.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
Thanks for the reply. Yes that is what I expected. I am trying to assign IPv4
and IPv6, with named local IP addresses to individual networks for local
access only, and global addresses for grouped networks, all with the correct
prefix used for sending and receiving. This is slightly complicated because I
also need to tunnel IPv6 in IPv4 until my ISP wakes up and provides the IPv6
promised several years ago, while making provision for it to appear at any
time.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk