[GLLUG] IP address problems.

Tim Woodall t at woodall.me.uk
Tue Nov 17 08:37:12 UTC 2020

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:

> On Thursday, 12 November 2020 11:49:25 GMT John Winters via GLLUG wrote:
>> On 12/11/2020 11:44, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
>>
>> [ about difficulties configuring persistent IPv6 addresses ]
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> I've found that I needed to use two different strategies depending on
>> whether the initial address is configured statically or picked up
>> automatically.  If you tell me which you're doing I will dig out my
>> notes on the relevant approach.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> John
>
> I am trying to get both working, with dedicated RaspberryPi boxes normally
> sitting in the DMZ but sometimes pre-configured in another network, mainly
> dedicated boxes in another network, and mainly random boxes used for general
> web access, etc, in another. I am trying to set up a replacement firewall, but
> I discovered a few more problems when one of two boxes running Bind9 locally
> died a few days ago. It seems that some of the RaspberryPi boxes have changed
> the name of their ethernet interface again, and could no longer find the IPv6
> gateway.

Adding
   up ip -6 addr add ...
lines to the interface stanza should allow
you to add more static IP addresses.

I'm not using dhcp6, I use SLAAC but the following might prove useful if
you want to go along that route.

   pre-up echo 64 >/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/$IFACE/accept_ra_rt_info_max_plen

To allow routes other than the default route to be received.

   pre-up ip token set ::201/64 dev $IFACE

To allow you to use something other than the MAC during config