[GLLUG] IP address problems.

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Nov 12 12:22:55 UTC 2020

On 12/11/2020 12:13, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 November 2020 11:49:25 GMT John Winters via GLLUG wrote:
>> On 12/11/2020 11:44, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
>>
>> [ about difficulties configuring persistent IPv6 addresses ]
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> I've found that I needed to use two different strategies depending on
>> whether the initial address is configured statically or picked up
>> automatically.  If you tell me which you're doing I will dig out my
>> notes on the relevant approach.
[snip]

> I am trying to get both working,
[snip]

OK.  For static addressing I put the following in

/etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet6 static
	address 2001:8b0:e9:1::4008
	netmask 64

That then is the only global IPv6 address the i/f gets.
(Note that the IPv4 address is still being picked up via DHCP.)

For a system which is picking up its addresses dynamically (i.e. one
where /etc/network/interfaces contains comments, but nothing else) I put
the following in /etc/dhcpcd.conf

interface eth0
static ip6_address=2001:8b0:e9:1:4001/64

The interface is then configured with this global address in addition to
the one which it gets automatically.

HTH,
John

--
Xronos Scheduler - https://xronos.uk/
All your school's schedule information in one place.