[GLLUG] Networking standards

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue Apr 27 09:00:12 UTC 2021

Hello,
Standard local networking rates have been faster than connections to the
internet for many years, but fibre is slowly being laid around the UK so the
internet is starting to catch up. I assume that sooner or later local
networking will move on from Cat 5 or Cat 6 to all local fibre networks,
prompted by whatever equipment suppliers choose as a standard. Is there any
sign of this happening, and which standards are being considered?
I have been viewing websites such as millsltd.com and farnell.com, both able
to supply multiple varieties of fibre and connectors, but I am interested to
know about any prospective standard, rather than which hardware might be
available to adapt between different types.
--
Chris Bell
Website https://chrisbell.org.uk