[GLLUG] Networking standards

Marco van Beek mvanbeek at supporting-role.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 09:42:14 UTC 2021

Given that you can now get 10Gb/s over cable and 10GB switches off the
shelf reasonably affordable (at least affordable when compared to the
same in fibre), I think that the only reason at the moment to use fibre
is distance unless you have a very specific requirement. My guess is
that by the time 10Gb/s speeds becomes common and needed, we will have a
100Gb/s over copper standard. Fibre is too brittle for day to day use in
a workplace.

Cheers,

Marco.