[GLLUG] Debian network interface boot configuration

Andrew Black andrewdblack at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:16:00 UTC 2021

> And Chris, I do agree, but that's how I feel about a lot of the "Linux"
(or rather what surrounds it) stuff, it needs firming up and some slicker
design to make it usable.

Not sure exactly what point is made here, but I think I feel similarly.
Sometimes  my memory of how things used to work helps and sometimes it
hinders.  Sometimes the "what surrounds it" makes things clearer, sometimes
it hides detail like useful diagnostics.

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 at 19:08, Henrik Morsing via GLLUG <
gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 05:05:50PM +0000, Andy Smith via GLLUG wrote:
> >Hi Henrik,
> >
> >Your interfaces file should say "inet6" not "inet". i.e.:
> >
> >iface eth3 inet6 static
>
> Gosh, I was so close! Well spotted, I just tested it and it works. Thanks!
>
> And Chris, I do agree, but that's how I feel about a lot of the "Linux"
> (or rather what surrounds it) stuff, it needs firming up and some slicker
> design to make it usable.
>
> I think what also annoyed me when I tried debugging this in the past, is
> the complete lack of output from the network scripts and even trawling
> through scripts like 'up' which actually has a debug variable, didn't seem
> to add anything useful.
>
> Anyway, thanks again, can't believe that was the last missing piece.
>
> Regards,
> Henrik Morsing
>
> --

Andrew Black