[GLLUG] Best NIX-based router/software for a small business network

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 19:46:19 UTC 2021

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 at 15:44, gvim via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> With ransomeware becoming a threat to both small and large businesses I'm inclined to advise small businesses to change their router as a first line of defence. What is currently the best NIX-based router/software? pfSense?

The first and most important defense against Ransomware is not a firewall.
The first thing to consider is how to recover after falling victim.
If you can recover from a Ransomware attack without needing to pay
ransom, you have defeated it.
The main risk of a Ransomware attack is that they have managed to
encrypt both your data and the backups of all the data.
So, the best defense is using a backup system that cannot be attacked
by a Ransomware attack.
This is normally some sort to write once, store offsite backup, so the
Ransomware attacker cannot delete or encrypt the backups.
Once you have that protection, the next step is to look at ways to
limit the disruption. This normally involves adding monitoring tools
so that you are more likely to detect a malicious actor within your
network.
The final step is to try and prevent the attack in the first place.
The problem with this final step is that there are always new zero day
attacks, so whatever you come up with here is never 100% protection.
That is another reason why the other steps above are more effective
and more important to do .

Kind Regards

James

Kind Regards