[GLLUG] Best NIX-based router/software for a small business network

Marco van Beek mvanbeek at supporting-role.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 10:02:40 UTC 2021

On 15/06/2021 20:45, James Courtier-Dutton via GLLUG wrote:
> So, the best defense is using a backup system that cannot be attacked
> by a Ransomware attack.
And your second line of defence is a second backup system that cannot be
attacked by a Ransomware attack...

For the third, maybe a local backup using a system that does not rely on
the OS mounting a drive, and then I would probably put #4 as some really
good granular share, file and folder permissions that limits what any
one person can do to the system, as that also helps to protect against
disgruntled employees getting nasty.  A firewall is very far down my
list. And for it to be of any use in this scenario it really does need
some form of proxy with a URL blacklist subscription, and you probably
already get that with the decent anti-virus solution you should have
already bought by this point...

Regards,

Marco