[GLLUG] Slide scanner for Linux desktop system?

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Mon Nov 1 15:13:49 UTC 2021

I have an old Epson Perfection 2400 flatbed document scanner with a
slide scanning adapter and USB 2.00 interface..

The old Epson software for Linux that I used to use (I've even forgotten
what it was called!)  hasn't been supported for years and the only
software I could find was the Vuescan commercial program (9.7.66
professional edition), which despite advertising doesn't do the slide
job at all well.  The current scanner works satisfactorily with Skanlite
for A4 and smaller documents but not slides.

So I'm wondering whether I should get a new scanner, either slide only
(for 35 mm and preferably also 2.5" square transparencies ) or
document-cum-slide, with software available for Linux desktops (I am
currently using Kubuntu 20.04 LTS, Kernel 5.4.0-89-generic, 64-bit (with
6 x i5-8400 @ 2.80 Ghz and 15.5 GB RAM).)

Can anyone recommend a solution? This is for home use, though I have a
lot of slides potentially to digitize.

Thanks for any ideas,

Christopher Currie

ccurrie at usa.net