[GLLUG] GLLUG still alive?

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Aug 13 20:30:12 UTC 2024

On 13/08/2024 17:52, Polarian via GLLUG wrote:
>> I think the main problem is that Linux has both become mainstream
>> enough that help is available through many other channels, and also
>> complex/fragmented enough that a general Linux mailing list may not
>> be the best place to get help.
> I believe this is still untrue.
>
> You will very rarely find any Linux/FOSS enthusiasts if you pop to the
> local boozer (I am yet to hear any techy convos :P), or even at
> University, very few people know what Linux is at my University, and
> only a few have started using it since they started. And this is within
> computer science, where you would expect to find Linux users, in other
> subjects where people who may be interested in Linux/FOSS but studying
> say mathematics, or maybe literature, they will be even less likely to
> bump into another Linux user.
>
> It has become much more mainstream online sure, but locally?

In my new locale, it seems that there is a preponderance of oldster
Linux users.  Most got there by becoming disillusioned with the dreadful
proprietary OSs, and we have a local OAP computing group who only use
Linux (predominantly "Mint")!  I was pleased to discover that our local
library has a reasonable supply of books on Linux and Linux applications.

The spectacularly widespread use of "Android" phones and tablets has
pushed Linux into the mainstream.  Its widespread use in embedded
systems, routers, and so on has also brought it to wider attention.
Widespread adoption in business is now happening, and as Windows 10
support dies out next year, and >90% of hardware isn't equipped with
TCMs, (so can't "upgrade" or install Windows 11), businesses and home
users are looking for ways to keep their hardware working and fully
supported.  This forthcoming Windows debacle will prove interesting for
the major Distros - they're going to be inundated with new users!

As mentioned earlier, LUGs are becoming redundant.  It's wonderful to
have an option for support with the more abstruse aspects of our
favourite OS, but there are various Distro-based fora that supply this
support very effectively.  However, I really wouldn't want mailing lists
like this to die out altogether!

Cheers

Chris (in Limburg, NL)