[GLLUG] GLLUG still alive?

James Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 10:23:31 UTC 2024

On Wed, 14 Aug 2024 at 14:21, Chris Bell via GLLUG
<gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 13 August 2024 21:30:12 BST Christopher Hunter via GLLUG wrote:
> Years ago, school curriculum's were changed, and pupils were not taught how
> computers work again until recently. Now many new users are learning how to
> program using Debian Linux and RaspberryPi computers, joining beginner clubs,
> and progressing to general computing. They may again want to learn more
> advanced techniques and security.
>
> --
> Chris Bell
> www.chrisbell.org.uk

Regarding security, we don't need to do security ourselves any more,
we get better business continuity, no single points of failure, by
using those excellent products from 3rd party companies like
Crowdstrike.

Note: My recommendation above may be taken in jest.

As Linux is so widespread now, I think people have tended to move away
from LUGs to other forums that are targeted at the particular
application the user is having problems with.
Whereas, many years ago, the LUGs were really the only place people
could come to for help with mostly unknown thing called "GNU/Linux".

Linux is still doing a very bad job with binary portability. If I
compile my program on one distro, and send the binary to a friend,
they tend not to be able to run it on their different distro.
For example, I have a diagnostic tool that I use myself, but in order
for friends to use it for diagnosis purposes, they have to compile it
all from source code. It is a very clunky and slow way of doing
things.
I am all for open source for all applications, but it should not mean
that all end users have to compile it themselves to use. It is not
feasible to get all the distros to include it in their distros because
it is not a widespread tool and will never be used by many people.
Oh well, rant over...

Kind Regards

James