[GLLUG] GLLUG still alive?

Iain M Conochie iain at shihad.org
Fri Aug 16 11:13:10 UTC 2024

<snip>

> Linux is still doing a very bad job with binary portability. If I
> compile my program on one distro, and send the binary to a friend,
> they tend not to be able to run it on their different distro.
> For example, I have a diagnostic tool that I use myself, but in order
> for friends to use it for diagnosis purposes, they have to compile it
> all from source code. It is a very clunky and slow way of doing
> things.

Autoconf is a solution to this:

./configure && make && sudo make install

> I am all for open source for all applications, but it should not mean
> that all end users have to compile it themselves to use. It is not
> feasible to get all the distros to include it in their distros
> because
> it is not a widespread tool and will never be used by many people.
> Oh well, rant over...

I think the issue you face is ABI with older libraries. Do you use many
external libraries in your program?

Alternatively:

https://blog.gibson.sh/2017/11/26/creating-portable-linux-binaries/

I'd be interested to hear your thoughs, as I am a budding C coder (I
presume your software is written in C).

Also, if your software uses autoconf, getting it to compile into a
debian package is pretty easy, after a few hours reading the various
FAQ's about debian package management

Cheers

Iain