[GLLUG] FReexian ELTS and Ubuntu Pro (Was Re: Ubuntu versus Debian)

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Fri Aug 23 19:36:46 UTC 2024

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 23, 2024 at 09:57:55AM +0000, Tim Woodall via GLLUG wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2024, Alan Pope via GLLUG wrote:
> > They then make that paid work available for free to the Ubuntu community if
> > they enable Ubuntu Pro.
>
> Isn't this the Freexian elts model for Debian?

I don't think it's really comparable as Freexian ELTS is an
expensive and almost bespoke consultancy service for a further 5
years after the end of Freexian's LTS.

You have to send them your list of important packages and they will
quote you how much to support them for a further 5 years, and the
cost goes up dramatically over time.

If you look at
https://www.freexian.com/lts/extended/docs/cost-estimation/ you'll
see an estimation there based on 150 packages of interest. The quote
starts at 7,770€ for the first year and ends at 24,570€ for the final
year.

I'm not an Ubuntu user but I don't think Ubuntu Pro is going to be
that costly for most of its users.

Of course, there's also the very different charging models: Freexian
is charging per package (so likely taking into account how much work
they think individual packages will be amortised across how many
sponsors are interested) whereas Canonical is trying to charge on a
per-host basis. Eventually Freexian will obviously work out cheaper,
but not for the small customer.

Ubuntu Pro is also promising security support on all of
Main+Universe for one price whereas the many thousands more packages
in Debian demand that Freexian ask for the list of important
packages and only quote for those.

Apart from the fact that they both end up with longer-term support
of packages, supported by people paying, I don't think they are
that similar.

The Freexian offerings (both LTS and ELTS) are appealing in the
sense that it is more of a community thing; orgs who really need
this support pay for it and then everyone can benefit. However,
unless you are willing to pay Freexian prices you don't get any
certainties.

I don't think Canonical are doing anything wrong by trying a
different approach and arguably it reaches more people. The
existence of Ubuntu Pro isn't what turned me off of Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Andy