[GLLUG] FReexian ELTS and Ubuntu Pro (Was Re: Ubuntu versus Debian)

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Sat Aug 24 18:10:10 UTC 2024

Hi,

The project that I'm working on is organised by Freexian (and partially
funded by Freexian as well). I don't work at all on LTS / ELTS updates,
and actually I don't know many more details than the public ones in the
links.

On 23 Aug 2024 at 19:36:46, Andy Smith via GLLUG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2024 at 09:57:55AM +0000, Tim Woodall via GLLUG wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Aug 2024, Alan Pope via GLLUG wrote:
> > > They then make that paid work available for free to the Ubuntu community if
> > > they enable Ubuntu Pro.

To me, what was described would be Freexian LTS (not ELTS).

> > Isn't this the Freexian elts model for Debian?

I know that you Andy know the difference. Perhaps the original poster
(Tim or Alan) was thinking of Freexian LTS and typed ELTS.

I know that you Andy know this, but a summary:

Debian provides 3 year support for a given Debian version. After this, 2
more years of updates are guaranteed by Freexian (thanks to the
sponsors), the updates are uploaded to the standard Debian repositories
for everyone. As a user, no difference. Paid by a few, made available to
everyone. I think that this is similar to:

> > > They then make that paid work available for free to the Ubuntu community if
> > > they enable Ubuntu Pro.

Above is similar to Freexian LTS ( https://www.freexian.com/lts/debian/ )

Some Debian maintainers prefer to do the updates of their packages
themselves instead of Freexian, so they can choose if they do or
Freexian does (thinking of Debian LTS, so, any version, after 3 years
and before 5).

The monthly reports has the list of sponsors:
https://www.freexian.com/blog/debian-lts-report-2024-07/

Cheers,

--
Carles Pina i Estany