[gloucs] compiling with qt/Python

Francis Barton gloucs@mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 24 08:42:02 2002

Funnily enough I was just about to send in a similar query regarding Python.

I have installed Python 2.2.1 from rpm and then, having removed the rpm, I
installed from source, seeemingly without error. Either way...

"whereis python" returns
/usr/lib/python2 /usr/include/python2

(should there be a binary in /usr/bin/ too?)

but when I try to run it (this is me trying to run the build script for
PyXML) using:

python setup.py build
or
python2 setup.py build
or
/usr/lib/python2 setup.py build

it returns an error straight away. If I was in Linux at the moment I could
even send you the error msg, but I haven't time right now. The gist of it is
it can't find python.
Any ideas why not?

Francis