[gloucs] compiling with qt/Python

Iain Calder gloucs@mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 24 12:25:01 2002

Francis Barton wrote:

>Funnily enough I was just about to send in a similar query regarding Python.
>
>I have installed Python 2.2.1 from rpm and then, having removed the rpm, I
>installed from source, seeemingly without error. Either way...
>
>"whereis python" returns
>/usr/lib/python2 /usr/include/python2
>
>(should there be a binary in /usr/bin/ too?)

Hi Francis, with the RPM installed you should have /usr/bin/python or
/usr/bin/python2.  If you installed from source I expect the python
binaries and packages will have gone into /usr/local, so you should have
/usr/local/bin/python.

Check that your path has /usr/local/bin in it (echo $PATH), if it has
then maybe the source install didn't complete properly.

>but when I try to run it (this is me trying to run the build script for
>PyXML) using:
>
>python setup.py build
>or
>python2 setup.py build
>or
>/usr/lib/python2 setup.py build

I don't know if you've done much with python before, but it is a very
clean and flexible language and I would recommend it to anyone.  I've
used the built-in xml.dom.minidom parser and xmlrpclib with great success.

Iain