[Gloucs] Tonight

johnmckeown gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 27 09:13:00 2002

I plan to be there tonight. I emailed Cross Keys a few weeks ago to say,
and phoned last night to remind them. I've switched to SuSE 8.0 - thanks
- and apm -s works now. Will try Debian too when new one comes out.

Does anyone know about datalogging from instruments under Linux? I've been
corresponding with someone doing a Uni project who wants to do it with
Linux but I've only been been to offer general advice:

I will need to be able to write windowing programs that read the data from
our instrument and plot to the window. Also to be able to generate
postscript from out control program. I was assuming we'd have to write
'stand alone' programs for this. However is it possible to write programs
that send to data to something like the gimp for display and later
manipulation? We will need the images to appear slowly over a period of
5-10 mins as each scan progresses in order to see if it is working OK.

Now I have no idea what machine we will be getting, I suppose it may be
sensible to ask for advice on comp.os.linux.portable. Are there any other
groups/lists you think might be particularly relevant for what we are
trying to do?
> re: pre-installed Try  http://www.dnuk.com/store/notebooks.php
I have been exchanging emails with them, and they seem quite helpful.  :-)
May well buy a system from them.
Do you know if any IBM dealer can provide linux pre-installed?

Jim Lesurf <jcgl@st-and.demon.co.uk>

regards
john mckeown