[Gloucs] Modem in Mandrake 9

Mick Brooks gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 15:55:00 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 03:32:13PM +0000, Jason Watts wrote:
> I have downloded the correct rpm from this site
> (http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/hcf/downloads.html) but Mandrake still can't
> find my modem. My modem is a:  "Conexant HCF 56K PCI Modem"
>
> I am told it is succesfully installed and that I should find my modem at:
> /dev/ttyshcf0. In kppp this does not show up. Is there a way to correct
> this?

Has the device file been created at all? That is, what does
'ls -l /dev/ttySHCF0' tell you. Do you have permissions to access it?

The install instructions at the URL you mentioned also suggest that you could
use /dev/modem - does that work? If not, can you tell us what ls -l makes of
that device too?

Have you tried running the hcfpciconfig command - maybe that will clear things
up?

> Also can anybody reccommend a good modem to use with linux? I may buy another
> modem. This may be the only option.

Any *real* modem will do. External ones are good, since they are (almost?) all
hardware modems. You'd probably find that an external one would perform better
under Windows too.

I hope that helps,

--
Mick