[Gloucs] External Modems

Steve Searle gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 10 20:56:01 2002

--eJnRUKwClWJh1Khz

Around 11:53am on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 (UK time), Jason Watts scrawle=
d:

> Thanks to your help I am now connected. The only problem is that surfing =
the=20
> web is very slow most of the time. Somebody mentioned that an external mo=
dem=20
> would work better.
>=20
> Does anybody have any recomendations of which external modem to get. Also=
 does=20
> anybody have an old modem thay would like to sell to me that they know wo=
rks=20
> well with linux.
>=20
I thought that Winmodems just wouldn't work at all, rather than just
running slowly.  I had one that didn't work at all.  I'm no expert tho.
I cahnged to an external SupraExpress and have had no problems.  Have
you tried sampling various sites with pings or similar from Gnu/Linux
and Windows to see if this shows significant differences.  Are you using
the same DNS in both cases?  Ping IP addresses as well as domain names
to see if that makes much difference.

Steve

--=20

(o<	www.stevesearle.com