[Gloucs] External Modems

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 10 22:02:01 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 21:23, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 04:27pm on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 (UK time), Jason Watts scrawled:
>
> > If it is a winmodem, would I be better off with an external modem?
>
> Yes.

Before you do that you might want to look at the following in case you
can get it working....

(apologies as always in case my mail has its usual amusing time delay
and someones already said all this....)

http://www.linmodems.org/

The HOWTO at
http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto.html
(also at)
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Linmodem-HOWTO.html

also take a peak at
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

from the faq on that page:
---------------
1. If Winmodems are not really modems, why do manufacturers make them?
It all comes down to cost. First, a winmodem lacks parts found in
regular modems-- these parts are "emulated" by software running on your
CPU. This lowers the unit cost to manufacture them. Second, most
consumers using Microsoft Windows will never realize that their "56K
Modem" is actually a winmodem, so the OEMs are happy.

2. Oops, I bought a Winmodem. Will it work with Linux?
 Not without some effort. A Winmodem requires software to emulate the
hardware missing from the modem card. For some winmodems, such as the
3Com/US Robotics Winmodems, this software is only available for
Microsoft Windows. For most others, there are groups adapting
proprietary drivers to function as "Linmodem" drivers.

hope it helps
Guy