[Gloucs] Modem again

Glyn Davies gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Dec 29 20:04:00 2002

Jason Watts wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Some of you helped me sort out my modem problems recently and I am now
> connected using Mandrake 9. I have the same problem with my internal
> modem as I did using Redhat. Basically I get a very slow connection
> which eventually drops to nothing and stalls. Taking some of your
> advice, I decided to buy an external modem. It is a "Diamond
> SupraExpress 56e PRO -serial port" modem.
>
> I have no problem finding the modem using KPPP (& wvdial) and it dials
> up, but when I get to the "Logging onto the network" bit and the log
> script debug window says "Starting pppd". Thats as far as it gets.
>
> I then get an error saying:
>
> *Timeout expired while waiting for the PPP interface to come up!*

Jason.

A very unscientific answer but.....

I had similar sounding problems a few years ago when using kppp on RH
(6.1 I'd guess). I found that after a reboot I needed to get kppp to
dial and connect three times. The third time (and subsequent attempts)
would be successful! It didn't cause too much bother as the server the
modem was connected too ran 24/7. The only other thing was that I was
running kppp it as root.

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies