[Gloucs] Modem again

Mick Brooks gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 30 22:10:00 2002

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 03:50:38PM +0000, Jason Watts wrote:
> I am connected at a slow speed but I still get the "Couldn't find interface
> ppp0: No such device" bit. The same as using the external modem. Next I
> launched kppp as root using the external modem and noticed something which
> might be significant.
>
> [root@localhost jason]# kppp
> _KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
> DCOPServer up and running.

This is nothing to worry about. You're starting a KDE program as one user
(root) that is being displayed on a KDE session started my another user
(jason?), and this means some things are not set up quite right ... but not to
worry.

> The rest of the error is the same as my previous post. Does that mean
> anything to you?

It looks to me like the modem is working, as is kppp, but the hand over to
pppd isn't going so well (someone will help us both if I'm wrong). This isn't
something I've played with for a while, but I think the error messages from
pppd would help - now we just have to remember/work out where they are going.

What files do you have in /var/log/ ? Do any of the files have likely looking
names like ppp or pppd? If not, I imagine that any messages from ppp will be
available in /var/log/messages - try having tail -f /var/log/messages running in a terminal window while you run kppp. If anything looks relevant and doesn't
make sense to you, post it here.

I hope this helps,

--
Mick Brooks