[Gloucs] meetings and website

bjh gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 30 22:25:00 2002

Hi Glyn,

Interesting to see that you are working on a talk reference wireless, and if
this relates to wireless networking you could be right on the button!

A major problem is hitting windows based systems at present and if you can
come up with a Linux based solution, you could make a lot of new converts!

The current problem (international) is: I-WORM/Opas.A , and a full listing
of the problem and attempts to find a solution is to be found at
http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/3197.html , please click on
the link and follow the threads...

This is a pretty nasty Virus that is affecting networked systems and is
refusing to be killed off despite the efforts of many virus experts... as
fast as you clean it out of the system when you next click on to the
internet what does it do - it searches for the original computer it got the
virus from and drags it back into your system again!!!

We had the problem hit us over Christmas when we started wireless networking
two Windows based computers and before we could work out what was really
happening we were struck by 17, YES, seventeen consecutive virus attacks
despite the use of the very efficient AVG anti-virus system from Grisoft
which is updated at least once a week and has protected us consistently for
over 18 months now.

We think we may now have the problem on hold by reluctantly using a
ZoneAlarm Firewall, but this in itself creates other networking problems so
is not the ideal solution.

Clearly wireless networking is the next computer growth area and we would
dearly like to do this with our systems by working with Linux based
computers as soon as possible.

Best regards to everyone for 2003...

Barrie Haycock