[Gloucs] meetings and website

Adam Langley gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 30 22:38:01 2002

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 10:23:38PM -0000, bjh wrote:
> The current problem (international) is: I-WORM/Opas.A , and a full listing
> of the problem and attempts to find a solution is to be found at
> http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/3197.html , please click on
> the link and follow the threads...
>
> This is a pretty nasty Virus that is affecting networked systems and is
> refusing to be killed off despite the efforts of many virus experts... as
> fast as you clean it out of the system when you next click on to the
> internet what does it do - it searches for the original computer it got the
> virus from and drags it back into your system again!!!

Which means it was never cleaned off in the first place. A virus can only
infect if you run it - simply being on a network (wireless or otherwise) is
not sufficient. The only way that a virus can `attack' over a network is by
exploiting an overflow in Windows and I haven't heard of anything that
dangerous in quite a while.

--
Adam Langley                                      agl@imperialviolet.org
http://www.imperialviolet.org                       (+44) (0)7986 296753