[Gloucs] Mozilla & x-java-vm

Mark Trotman gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Nov 3 09:15:00 2002

Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me with the following problem as I need to know what I am doing wrong
(if only to preserve what little sanity I have left!)

Mozilla won't load a particular webpage as it needs the x-java-vm plugin. I found the plugin on the
Sun website (or at least j2re_1_4_1_01-linux-i586.bin which apparently contains x-java-vm).

Having downloaded the 25+ meg file (thank Heaven for broadband :-) ), I did the following;

chmod +x j2re-1_4_1_01-linux-i586.bin
./j2re-1_4_1_01-linux-i586.bin
cd j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610
cp libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Now Moz says the plugin is available but it crashes when I try to access the page! Any thoughts on
why? Has anyone successfully managed to get this particular plugin working with Mozilla?

BTW, has anyone tried the Phoenix (a lighter version of Netscape/Mozilla) browser yet?

Any help, abuse etc appreciated!

Cheers for now

Mark