[Gloucs] Routing woes

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Nov 15 00:46:03 2002

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_3uJPBOCUAE194Lj1=

In message <A39E8A01D422D611A45B0090276AFAD81CF266@comsrv>, Tim Ballam=20
<Tim.Ballam@cpccomputers.co.uk> writes
>Routing woes
>
>I'm trying to set-up a network with a DSL and cable modem connection and
>want the cable modem to be the backup.  If I set a workstation up with 2
>default gateways and start a ping going if I pull the DSL network cable I
>get no network access until I delete the offending gateway.
>
>Anyone any thoughts. (apart from spending about 5K on a box)

I think you need to be running either gated or routed to dynamically add=20
and delete entries from the routing table dependent on what routes are=20
being advertised by the attached boxes. This does depend on the DSL and=20
cable hardware supporting the protocols.

Personally I've got about as far as you have before giving up. Only in=20
my case the machine went down when I was 40 miles away and that was when=20
I found out having two identical entries in the routing table didn't=20
work.
--=20
Dave Addison