[Gloucs] Re: Gloscat

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Nov 15 12:20:01 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 07:40, Jill Tovey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if I can help with anything over at park campus - as that is where
> my lectures are held,
>
> I could stick a few posters up informing people of meetings etc... or talk
> to people if you wish ?

I was going to print off the sourceforge "help wanted" page and pin it
up on our programming course notice board. I've also put a discreeet url
to the GLUG site here and there. Helps if you know what each group of
student are like, some hate being there and aren't receptive while other
groups will be looking around for things to learn.

I sat in on a lecture where I realised the lad next to me wasn't mucking
around with the windows cmd prompt but was in BASH having happily booted
into Linux and was trying to give the department NT4 server a prod
(proud feeling). They usually don't know about the GLUG until you tell
them.

> > Hmm, if anyone has old Linux mags they don't want I could give
> > them to the university library.

If you get too many John, pass em on.

> > Guess I ought to try again contacting the
> > IT teaching staff over at Park, but none responded to the Open Day mailing

If it's anything like our department then your email will have been one
of too many that day, and probably binned without being read properly,
so it doesn't mean they're not interested. I don't know exactly what you
job entails John, but do you get to chat to the lecturers much, are they
approachable? When it came to sneaking Linux in to the department I just
chatted to the person with the biggest pile of samba and apache books on
his desk and went from there.

Guy