[Gloucs] New member

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Oct 9 23:55:01 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 22:12, steve@stevesearle.com wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:59:37PM +0100, Paul Broadhead wrote:
> > I use www.smoothwall.org as my firewall also on Telewest broadband, it
> > just sits there and does its job, I hope.  Linux is also really good for

I'm having Telewest installed next weekend and was meaning to ask on the
list whether the 486 would process packets fast enough. (I have no idea
of the processing power required). Guess if it's working for you on a
486 then it should be fine.

> I used Smmothwall for a while on a 486 for a while, but then changed
> over to IPCop when Smoothwall became to nagging/moaning.  Eventually the
> 486 broke down, and I couldn't install either on the replacement I found
> - I think because of lack of memory.  So I now use freesco - works fine,
> but I preferred IPCop

I think the nag screens were removed in patch 5, and installing
smoothwallSE the distribution is already patched to that level I think.
Hence the nag screens shouldn't be a problem any more. I'm not going to
get involved in an ipcops vs smoothwall debate though :-) The ads by the
side don't bother me.

The lack of memmory is though. I use a 486 with 16mb of RAM and it won't
install patch 14. Finding 30 pin RAM can be a pain nowadays as well. The
sticks I've found so far don't work and I have a horrible feeling that
the current 16mb may be the motherboards maximum. I will experiment some
more.

Guy