[Gloucs] New member

Paul Broadhead gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 10 00:12:01 2002

Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards@hotpop.com> wrote:

> I'm having Telewest installed next weekend and was meaning to ask on
> the list whether the 486 would process packets fast enough. (I have no
> idea of the processing power required). Guess if it's working for you
> on a 486 then it should be fine.

I ran smoothwall as my Blueyonder firewall on a 486 (DX100) with 52 MB
memory for many months.  It was fine.  A few months ago I replace the
486 with a Pentium ??? 200 with 64Mb ram.  The network speed appears
unchanged, the web based control stuff is a bit speedier though.  I'm
afraid I don't have the 486 machine any longer so liberating the ram for
you is not an option.

Regards,
Paul