[Gloucs] New member

gloucs@mailman.lug.org.uk gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 10 00:22:00 2002

--tvOENZuN7d6HfOWU

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 11:50:36PM +0100, Guy Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 22:12, steve@stevesearle.com wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:59:37PM +0100, Paul Broadhead wrote:
> > > I use www.smoothwall.org as my firewall also on Telewest broadband, it
> > > just sits there and does its job, I hope.  Linux is also really good =
for
>=20
> I'm having Telewest installed next weekend and was meaning to ask on the
> list whether the 486 would process packets fast enough. (I have no idea
> of the processing power required). Guess if it's working for you on a
> 486 then it should be fine.
Don't rely on it.  I live in Abbeymead and broadband isn't available
(cable or ADSL on our street).  I am still on a dial up modem. <Bloody
BT, rant, rant, rant>

> I think the nag screens were removed in patch 5, and installing
> Smoothwall the distribution is already patched to that level I think.
> Hence the nag screens shouldn't be a problem any more. I'm not going to
> get involved in an ipcops vs smoothwall debate though :-) The ads by the
> side don't bother me.
I know they were removed, it was the odd reference to no one giving them
any money that got to me - its not a big thing - I just found IPCop and
was happier with that.
>=20
> The lack of memmory is though. I use a 486 with 16mb of RAM and it won't
> install patch 14. Finding 30 pin RAM can be a pain nowadays as well. The
> sticks I've found so far don't work and I have a horrible feeling that
> the current 16mb may be the motherboards maximum. I will experiment some
Yes - the 486 I have only has 8mb and is a 33sx, and it wouldn't
install Smoothwall or IPCop (I think 16 Mb was required for the
install).  I found freesco which works quite happily.

BTW, anyone with friends, relatives in the Abbeymead/Barnwood area
please encourage them to register for broadband - so far 94 people have
registered and interest - BT require 400 to do so before they convert
the exchange to provide ADSL.

Steve

--=20

(o<	www.stevesearle.com