[Gloucs] ISDN

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Sep 23 22:34:00 2002

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_9zud2jESh4j94Lyu=

In message <GBQOUSSC9DABADGF1Z85B9PMUOVP9.3d8b3353@shitepile>,=20
jinxy@firenet.uk.com writes
>Anyone using ISDN out there? I've been using isdnctrl to dail one of my=20
>ISPs but now they are stopping their sevice so I thought I'd just=20
>switch it to my other one. I've never really figured out where isdnctrl
>gets its user name and password from but I assumed chap-secrets,=20
>pap-secrets so I've changed the info in them and it's still not=20
>authorising. This is with ippp* and not the faked modem ttyI* which I=20
>get NO CARRIER
>on even though I've use &E to set the MSN and ISDN4Linux FAQ has no=20
>other info about NO CARRIER, so in a word, help! :)
>
>Oh and KMail says "relay to <email@addy.com> forbidden by sys admin",=20
>or words to that effect, I'm using SMTP so is this sys admin root or=20
>someone else? :)
>
>TIA.

I use ipppd with Demon. No problem (except with intermittent USB=20
failures). I've got a RedHat system and the ifcfg-ppp0 in=20
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory contains a USER parameter which=20
tells ipppd which pap secret to use to authenticate. This is passed to=20
ipppd by the ifup script
--=20
Dave Addison