[Gloucs] email problems

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Sep 29 11:34:00 2002

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_DXHSv1Atatl94L2B=

In message <20020929004117.GB7462@angie.starsoft.demon.co.uk>,=20
steve@stevesearle.com writes
>On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 12:47:45AM +0100, Francis Barton wrote:
>> I'm trying to get mutt set up with fetchmail and sendmail - dead simple,
>> just a single-user machine.
>> A few questions as I am not having any luck and the few bits of advice I
>> have found on the web have seemed really complicated, stuff like IP
>> masquerading or somesuch.
>>
>> OK, I'm running fetchmail with a basic .fetchmailrc which I'm sure is fi=
ne,
>> fetchmail -kv shows all the mail coming in. My question: where does it g=
o?
>If you type 'mail', rather than mutt, does it show your email?  That
>might help determine if it is mutt or fetchmail that is the problem.  It
>might also help if you posted your .fetchmailrc file, but hide any
>passwords that are in it first.
>
>Which user are you running fetchmail as?
>
>> Apparently I then need sendmail to get my mail (this is crazy - there mu=
st
>> be a simpler way. Why can't fetchmail fetch mail and let sendmail send i=
t?)
>No it is simple - fetchmail to fetch it and sendmail to send it.
>
>> I have tried to configure sendmail using YaST but I think I need to do s=
ome
>I use webmin to configure it, you might try that.
>
>> Also, is it true that root can't get email using fetchmail - it has to be
>I am not aware of this.
>
>> seems bizarre, if true. I have tried getting email as root and as fb, bu=
t no
>Log on as root
>  mail fb
>       <type some stuff>
>
>       log on as fb
>       mail
>
>Does this show any email has been received by fb?
>
>It is worth trying.  The first *major* customising I did in Linux was
>configuring email and i now have a nice multi user system that fetches
>all email from my isp, post it to various family members accounts, which
>some of them even access from Windows.  It was frustrating at times, but
>a nice feeling of accomplishment when I (finally) got it working.
>
>Cheers
>
>Steve

You could also have a look in /var/spool/mail to see which mailboxes=20
exist and what the sizes are. This should tell you what's happening to=20
the mail. /var/log/maillog should also let you know what sendmail did=20
with it. There's been a couple of  occasions when I 've completely=20
cocked up and sendmail has happily bounced all my email. The directory=20
and filename are for RedHat. I couldn't tell you if it's the same for=20
other distros
--=20
Dave Addison